That's my granny and papa
Its important to think about your body when these months start heating up. Its summer time and everyone is thinking about putting that sun block on their skin. That is important however, that is only one step in what we need to do to beat the heat this summer. Heat has an incredible impact on the body. Heat can exposure can elevate the bodies basal temperature over long exposure and result in tissue damage, it can slow down performance, cause aggressive behavior, dehydration, fainting , weakness, vomiting and so much more. SO here are a few tips to stay body conscious.
1. Drink water! -when working or moving around in high temperatures there will be increased blood for the increased muscle work. Our body is amazing at keeping homeostasis so generally when we are moving around or working in heat this heated blood goes to our brain and sets off sweating to cool our body off . However, if you do not have enough fluid volume in your body you wont be able to.As a result, the body temperature begins to rise disproportionately as you become more dehydrated. So while we are sunning or working out keep a bottle near by . And if you check out my friends blog here you can find information about fighting the heat and using water bottles better for you and the environment.
2. Dress appropriately: wear lightweight, light-colored, loose-fitting clothing. And think about the fabrics you are choosing to wear that day. Synthetic fibers don't breath very well and keep heat in . Choose natural fabrics like cotton , silk or linen; these breath and are more absorbent. And chose lighter color because they reflect heat better than darker colors.If you have a lazy day take that cotton shirt , soak it in water, wring it out and lean back in a beach chair while it cools you off!
3. slow down: Avoid strenuous work or movement in the peak hours. Or if you work outside try to get it done in the morning, take a lot of breaks and seek shade as much as possible.
4. Use a hint of mint. Try a few minty/menthol products to cool your skin: slather on lotion with peppermint , shower with peppermint soap, use a minty foot soak, and powders with mint. Mint refreshes the skin and leaves a refreshing cooling sensation. There are some awesome mint products out there some of my favorites are:
* Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap
* Trader Joe's tree tea tingle shampoo with mint and eucalyptus
*Burt's Bees Peppermint foot Lotion
or munch on my fav ice cream substitute
*Rice Dream mint carob chip ice cream
5. Eat right-Stay away from big heavy meals because these take longer for your body to digest and put more strain your body. Eat small meals, often. Eat a lot of foods that keep you hydrated, like fruits and veggies. Check your local farmers markets to see whats in season for the best taste. Here is a link to see what fruits are in season. Eating light meals with more nutrients and foods full of hydration is not only a good habit to develop for hot months but a healthy habit for everyday living.
And of course swim and stay in the air conditioning!!!