Friday, March 18, 2011

Gluten free: Felafel's


I love felafel's ! So it was birthday week, day two and I said lets do it guys ( or I'll do it guys ..because i am the mother and cook for them)!

They came out delicious!!!! I mean I should have made five times as more. Do y'all do that, make only a little when you are trying a recipe in case it sucks? It works if it sucks , but its sad if they rock. And let me tell you they rocked!!! They are super easy and I suggest dipping in some tahini or Greek style hummus or just pop 'em in your mouth.

Grocery list:
-Garlic ( 4 cloves)
- Onion(1/2 a cup) ( I used a yellow one in this recipe because it's what I had, but I think a purple one would fit in too!)
-Cilantro(2 TBSPN)
-Parsley(2 TBSPN)
-Salt(1 TSPN)
-Cumin(1 TSPN)
-Cayenne(1/2 TSPN)
-GF Baking powder(1 TSPN)
-Flour (4 TBSPN; I used Bob's Red Mill all purpose GF flour)
- Olive oil for frying( or whatever you use)
-Hummus( I used Athenos)

Preparation&steps:
1. chop: 1/2 onion, 2TBSP cilantro&Parsley and 2 cloves of garlic

2. Measure: measure out 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp cayenne and 1 tsp of cumin

3. Mix: Put everything, except flour and baking powder, in a food processor. Process until blended, but be sure not to turn it into a paste. It just needs to hold together.

4. Make: Sprinkle in the baking soda and flour. I like to mix with my hand to see if it has the right texture. If it feels sticky still you can add up to 6 TBSPN of flour. The point of the flour is to allow you to form them into little balls. Once you think you have it down make them into tiny balls, patties or however you want. Then fry 'em up and enjoy! ( I am trying to find a healthier way to fry, I used olive oil. Does anyone no an alternative that makes it taste as good and gets the outside crunchy?)




I think I might make them this weekend again!

-Nic

1 comment:

Ashley said...

This. Immediately.