Saturday, October 9, 2010

Gluten Free sweet and sour tofu!



This weekend I made a much needed visit home and decided, per my lovely friend Ashley's desires, to make sweet and sour tofu gluten free style. I got the sauce recipe form Ginger Lemon Girl's blog and of course used tofu instead of chicken. Ash and I loved it , but tofu is not for Dallas so I quickly whipped up some gluten free fried chicken to go with his rice.

Coating Ingredients:
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup sweet rice flour1 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon pepper2 teaspoons garlic granules
1/4 teaspoon salt1 teaspoon onion powder

Sauce Ingredients:

1/2 cup sugar( I use stevia!)
2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
1 cup water2 tablespoons GF soy sauce( I use la choy)3 tablespoons ketchup

1.First drain, press , or squeeze your tofu (Tofu tastes best when drained).
I place my tofu in between two plates and put some books on top to squeeze it out.
2.While tofu is draining mix dry, coating ingredients in a bowl with a lid.

3.Cut tofu into cubes, put them in the bowl with coating ingredients, put the lid on and shake shake shake it in the kitchen!
4. put some oil ( i use canola) in a frying pan on medium. Place coated tofu tofu in the pan and fry until golden brown or longer if perferred.
5. While you are frying the tofu put all the sauce ingredients in a sauce pan. It will be a dark muggy color at first. Whisk the entire time and bring it too a boil. It should turn a glossy red color when you are done( it takes me about ten minutes)
6. Take tofu out of pan pour sauce on it and enjoy!
** Add white, brown or fried rice and make it a meal.

No comments: