Saturday, October 2, 2010

Be Gluten Free With Me!


As you may, or may not know, I am a celiac so I have to eat gluten free. I am finding a lot of joy in it through creating my own recipes and dishes. Gluten free does not mean i have to give up yummy food.So take the gluten free journey with me !


This weekend is the tenth annual hardly strictly blue grass festival and I decided to create some goodies to bring along. I created my very own gluten free, nut free, vegan and 100% delicious granola squares.


Nic's Granola Squares done right! (Gluten free, nut free, vegan, and yummy)


Ingredients

1 c. of dried cranberris( or you can use blueberries, cherries, apricots or any mixture)

2 c. pumpkin seeds

2 c. sunflower seeds

2 c. gluten free rice cereal ( not all rice cereals are gluten free, rice krispies are not but if you are not a celiac then use what ever one you like most)

1/3 c. honey ( you can use more or less depending on how sweet you want it)

1/3 c. sugar or brown sugar( I ran out of brown sugar and used white sugar; there was no taste difference in taste)

1/4 c. vegan butter( I use Earth Balance , you can find it almost anywhere)


** Also if you want add some nuts or even some yummy chocolate chips. If you add chocolate chips do it add the end after you mix everything. You can push them into the top before it cools or even drizzle it on top!**


1. Combine honey, butter and sugar into a saucepan. Bring it too a boil and then let it simmer for two minutes.

2. While the honey mixture is coming to a boil mix all your dry ingredients in a large bowl.

3. Add the honey mixture to the dry ingredients and mix it up.

4. Before it cools spread into a pan evenly and add extra honey , Cinnamon, or chocolate to the top.

5. Put in the refrigerator for at least two hours , cut up , and enjoy!


I loved them , the come out chewy and the dried fruit gives it such a great taste. Everyone will ask for more.


( don't mind my picture I am not much of a photographer and I take pictures with my cell phone he he)



No comments: